Wednesday 23 April 2008

Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

I researched many role models for my Media Theory Essay but one has stuck with me ever since and especially one piece of advice a fan wrote about him. The person in question is Captain Malcolm Reynolds from television series Firefly. Subconsciously he’s always been a role model to me. But I didn’t realise how much until I started reading what fans were saying about him. And one in particular got to me and I don’t think I’ll ever shake the influence:

‘Mal’s real strength is emotional, not physical … You keep going, and you don’t let the horrendous, soul-crushing things of the past get to you.’

The same can be said for Zoe Washbourne. I never consciously thought how much of a female role model she really is. Its insane. The same goes for all Joss Whedon’s characters.

Something that I realised even more from another fan message was that people like characters with flaws. They like characters with good and bad attributes. This then forces them to identify the positive and negative in characters and adapt the positive to their own lives.

So from now on every character I create with have at least one obvious flaw and setback to their personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment