Tuesday 8 July 2008

I'm Writing A Play.

What the hell?

About a month back I came up with this modern day fairy tale which in an insane world somehow hasn't been done before. It has to exist and I'm sure it does (although I hope it doesn't) but I've never seen anything like it. So I'm going to write it.

The idea at the time was seen as either a one-off television drama; reality-based with this magical element or an illustrated children's book, which would be perfect also. But after speaking to a colleague he helped to reinforce the story's themes and essence and we came to the conclusion that a play would be the best and most suitable way to tell the story.

I've never written a play before and have read only a few (Death of a Salesman, This Is Our Youth, Hedda Gabler and The Importance Of Being Ernest) and have always thought 'it would be cool to write one someday' but without really wanting to or being able to.

For a long time my passion for film was insanely high and so interest or ambition in anything else never stood a chance. But over the last few years I've begun to branch out into territories I never thought I'd be equally interested in or even have anything original or appropriate for. Like television, which is now my main market; then short animations; comics and children's books, which like plays are in the background and are just waiting for their big bang.

I think what also has to do with branching out is down to me being realistic with my film ambitions as the television market is much larger in terms of opportunity and likelihood than UK film. And I know I can forget TV and film in America. However, anything is possible. But first thing's first.

The play. Not literally. It's on the board and will developed as usual. But I don't want to rush it as there's no need.

My ambition for this is to send it to local theatre groups to get some professional feedback and hopefully interest. I will also send it to John Foster, a lecturer at university who has relevant skill and experience in the area. There's also a colleague on my year who has an interest and background in plays and theatre.

All I need to do now is to just keep making progress with it and hopefully it's the start of something good.

No comments:

Post a Comment